The Relationship Bill of Rights
I hereby declare that I have the following rights in my dating relationships. I also recognize and respect that all other people are entitled to the same rights at all times:
- To have and express my own feeling and opinions, whether or not others agree.
- To make decisions about myself and have equal decision-making power in my relationships.
- To say "no" to physical closeness or any other act that makes me uncomfortable, at any time.
- To refuse a date at any time.
- To choose my own friends and maintain relationships with those friends.
- To participate in activities that do not include my boyfriend or girlfriend.
- To control my own money and other possessions.
- To live free from fear and abuse.
- To end a relationship.
This bill of rights was adapted from The Teen Relationships Workbook and is used by the city's NYC Healthy Relationship Training Academy.
(Read another youth story, "How to Know if a Relationship is Good for You")